Friday, April 29, 2011

A Bite About Food

I love food.  To allow that part of my mind a little air time, I will share a memory and a guilty pleasure.

When I was growing up, one of the salads we learned to make was "Belly-button Salad".  I think there are still debates about whether the name came about because Mom was trying to encourage us to eat it or whether some people in this world (outside of my family) actually call it by this name.  Here is a picture from a recent endeavor to make this salad:


As you can probably guess, most people who are familiar with this salad know it as Carrot-Raisin Salad.  It makes perfect sense to call something by the most obvious ingredients.  But, for the sake of argument, can you deny that raisins have a subtle similarity to some belly-buttons?




RECIPE:
Carrot Raisin Salad
4 CUPS grated carrot
1 CAN 20 oz. crushed pineapple
1 CUP raisins
3/4 CUP mayo
3 TEASPOON sugar (up to 1 Tbs)
1/2 TABLESPOON lemon juice

Chill all ingredients but sugar 30 minutes before salad prep.  Dissolve sugar in pineapple.  Combine and mix all ingredients adding mayo last.
Serves approx. 8
**If you think you will have leftovers, to make them less "soupy", drain pineapple juice out of can (and do not use in salad) before dissolving sugar in pineapple**


Okay, now let's discover the wonders of melted chocolate.  Not just any melted chocolate.  Around Easter many stores bring in a wonderful kind of candy called the Cadbury mini egg.  I believe it was during my college experience that I was introduced to the fine art of microwaving these gems to bring out the silky goodness of melting the chocolate inside the "crisp sugar shell".  After I was introduced to the microwave method (Depending on how many eggs you microwave at one time and the power level of the microwave, it takes about 30 seconds to one minute with the standard "high" power level.  The more eggs at once, the more time. I usually start at 30 seconds and if the shell has a noticable crack and squishes easily when picked up, it's done.  If it still feels hard, try another 15-30 seconds), I found myself having a harder time eating these eggs just plain and hard.  And now, a visual representation of what I am suggesting as a very near experience of heaven on earth:

Exhibit A: hard, just cut open
Exhibit B: after the microwave...I couldn't help eating half

Exhibit C: side-by-side comparison

Crunchy is good, but with this candy I say liquid smooth with a hint of crunch is better.

2 comments:

  1. what are the times and power level to make them like this?

    What is your Carrot-Raisin Salad recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett, I have edited this post to reflect the answers to your questions so everyone may more easily see the answers :)

    ReplyDelete